02: Patio Project: possible solutions

DIY GAL NOTE: This post explores solutions to the previous post, which addresses a problem with two concrete patio slabs. Please refer to that post for a more thorough explanation of the problem. Thanks for reading!

I wanted whatever final solution I decided upon to make the patios more attractive, not just repair the damage. Budget was a concern. I researched several solutions. A few years ago I obtained an estimate from Armor Deck to coat it. Apparently my approximate 200 sq. ft. did not meet their minimum requirements. The cost to do this and my front porch and walkway would be over $1500.

Another solution a friend told me about was interlocking tiles. He found one option of modular wood decking at HomeDepot .com called Honey Deck [200 Square Foot Deck Package (10 Ft. x 20 Ft.) 15 cases of A pieces & 3 cases of B pieces.] for $775. It is secured onto the patio with Liquid Nails. Since it is sold in this package there would be no room for error with my project. I sure would not want to double that price! We discovered that this sort of project is not carried at my local Home Depot (nor did the staff have a clue as to what I was talking about.)

Costco.com also offers a similar product. Their VIFAH Premium Snapping Deck Tiles sell for $99 per box. Each box covers 20 square feet. The Pattern is made up of horizontal slats per tile.


The description on Costco.com web site reads:

Quickly build any unique outdoor living space by simply snapping the deck tiles together without using nails, glue, or a hammer. Snapping deck tiles (sometimes referred to as interlocking deck tile) is a do-it-yourself product designed for the average homeowner. It quickly makes a solid hardwood floor on the patio, balcony, next to a pool or spa, or kitchen and bathroom areas in a couple of hours. No hassles of building a deck the conventional way. Most importantly, it is economically reusable - just simply snap and unsnap the deck tiles on one floor and re-snap them on another floor! You can build your floor within a matter of hours - not days - and enjoy it immediately. No glue, no screws, or hammers are needed!

The snapping deck tiles are made of the beautiful non-endangered Shorea, a hardwood growing naturally and plentifully in Vietnamese protected forests. In Vietnam, Shorea has been the wood of choice for centuries in shipbuilding, furniture, houses, and many other uses. Its hardness and the natural oils present in the wood make Shorea products extremely resistant to fungi, termites, rot and decay. In addition, the wood is also carefully kiln-dried prior to production."

Another solution that I have considered is some sort of tile... porcelain, saltillo, ceramic... something that is non-skid, sturdy. Since I live in the Sonoran desert in Phoenix, Arizona, there is no concern for ice or snow or severe cold or even a lot of rain. But the intense heat is a consideration.

All of these solutions are valid options... however I found a very interesting solution, which I will write about in my next post.

Comments

Popular Posts