Insulating Windows With Fabric

As part of my quest for getting my home-office as cool as possible for summer I determined that much of the heat gain was coming from my window.

I went to JoAnn's Etc. and discovered a special energy efficient fabric called Warm Window, (which is available in white or ivory). It's available in 60" or 45" widths and is sold by the yard for approximately $22-$29/yard.


According to JoAnn's website: "The Warm White Window fabric consists of four layers of different fabric quilted together in 4"-wide lengthwise channels. It is designed to reduce the flow of energy through your window glass. The layers are lined with fabric protector; Made with high density needled holo fibers; Produce a reflective polyethylene moisture vapor barrier; Have metallized mylar with air-trapping fibers."

I say: "Neat-o!"

Here's a close-up of the layers. It keeps out street noise and is room darkening as well.



Note: I do not have a sewing machine so I hand-stitched this. The person who cut the fabric did not give me much extra and the cuts were not square with the stitches. I used a triangle to get the side hems perpendicular with the rows of horizontal stitching so I rectified her sloppy cutting.


I bought a round spring tension rod (28" - 48")from Target for just $2.99, and stitched a pocket to slide that in.
I then installed it BEHIND my current Hunter Douglas Duette Honeycomb Shades so I have double insulation on this window.

On Hunter Douglas's website regarding energy efficiency they offer a download brochure entitled "We make Green Beautiful". Regarding the Honeycomb Duette that I currently have in the office they state:

"Air contained within the honeycomb cells proved to be an effective insulator, keeping heat inside in winter and keeping it out in summer."

Apparently their newer edition Duette called the "Duette Architella" claims better energy efficiency.

Here are three views of the Warm Window fabric installed behind the Honeycomb Duette. On the left is just the Honeycomb Duette Shade. The middle shows the Warm Window shade installed behind the Honeycomb Duette Shade, with the shade half open. On the right shows the Duette closed over the Warm Window shade. Hopefully this will give me maximum insulation for this room!



Here's what my finished window looks like in my 35" x 59" window:

Comments

Marvin said…
The lot where our newly constructed do-it-yourself house building kit is always exposed to direct sunlight, so it's kind of hot inside. I was looking online for something that can help reduce the heat indoors when I stumbled upon your blog. I will try the warm window. Thanks a lot for the tip!
I used this product for all the windows in my son's 3rd story condo which has a lot of windows and southern exposure. His entire place smelled like a toxic factory with the sun shining on the shades I made.

I was under the impression that the white side faces outside. Perhaps it is that material that is causing the chemical smell.

Can you tell me which side you face out?
Anonymous said…
Thanks for such a nice post.

Cellular Honeycomb Shades

Popular Posts