Adding Attic Insulation

The room in my house that I use for my home-office faces west. Here in Phoenix, it's not unusual for us to have summer temperatures ranging from 100* to 115*. Sometimes the mercury even soars beyond that! This room, where I spend nearly all my time, really heats up.

I have computer equipment that kicks off some heat as well, making this room not so comfortable. I've configured my computer equipment in such a way that my scanner and printer are on a separate power plug so they can all be turned off when not in use, minimizing power usage.

GOAL: To add more insulation above this home-office so that room is cooler in the summer.

I had blown-in insulation, but I wanted to add extra insulation over this room. On one of the last remaining good weather days of the season (still in the cool 70's), I ventured up there with mask to protect my lungs and my oldest work clothes (long sleeves and pants). I would've worn googles, however I wear glasses so it was too much around my face.

First task was to measure the rafters. Mine were 24" apart. As you can see there was already "blown in" insulation. My house is 15 years old. It definitely would have been easier to just call a company who does this and they could have added more blown-in insulation to what was there already. However I wanted to take care of it myself and for as little money as possible.

Also you'll notice there are lots of wires and plumbing etc. crossing over the rafters. I went in with a piece of sturdy cardboard and scooped all the existing insulation from one rafter section to the next, giving me room to install the pink insulation as a foundation.


You can see the extra blown-in insulation piled up temporarily on the neighboring rafter section.

From Lowe's I purchased Owens Corning Pink Fiberglass Insulation R-30 (one package was approximately $68.) Specifically I purchased: R-30 Kraft-faced Insulated Batt. Batts are 48 inches long, 24 inches wide, and 9½ inches thick. Square feet: 88.00.

On their website they describe it as follows:

"Homeowners prefer Owens Corning PINK FIBERGLAS® Insulation 7 to 1 because it maintains insulating power over time. Since fiber glass does not absorb moisture, PINK insulation will not hold water, preventing permanent loss of R-value. When properly installed, PINK FIBERGLAS® Insulation will not settle or deteriorate to maintain insulating value. The insulating materials in PINK FIBERGLAS® Insulation are also noncombustible."




I used a sturdy board to kneel on when threading the roll insulation in between the rafters and under all the wiring. I would not recommend this task if you are not a fit person. It took some abdomen strength and upper body strength and good balance to install this. And remember that if you misstep you can actually fall through the ceiling. Fortunately I did not have any accidents, however I was quite sore after this and my knees were bruised and skinned a bit from balancing on that board.

Note: As a safety precaution if you are working up there alone, be sure to bring a charged cell phone and put it in your pocket. If you were to get stuck or in an accident in the attic and needed help, that phone may really come in handy.

Here you will notice that there is a brace and the electric box the lighting fixture, which, in this case, is a ceiling fan. The instructions on the pink insulation advise keeping the insulation away from this a few inches so it does not heat up. I cut around it and added blown-in insulation in that spot instead.

Comments

Unknown said…
It's a nice thing that you insulated your roof above that room right before summer rolled in. Insulation was really important for your case, especially that you were working in that room. As that room being submerged in crazy temperatures will not only lower your productivity, but might also harm your computer and might cause overheating.

Felix Brooks
Its nice to going through the home insulation pictures. Reading that article is being a fun. As most of the people doesn't give priority to such things. Heating and Cooling Newmarket

Popular Posts