Sunflowers

I planted these sunflowers from seeds in March 2008. To my amazement they sprouted and bloomed even here in the Sonoran desert! I guess what they need most is sun and water. There is more than enough sun. I planted seeds in spots where I already had irrigation drips already available. These sunflowers bloomed by early to mid-June. The intense desert heat in June and July caused them to fold over to the ground.

The seed packet was labeled "Mammoth" variety and "annual." Also on the front of the packet were the words "Homegrown birdseed." The birds seem to find enough to snack on in my yard so I suspect they enjoyed these too. If you look close on the first photo you will see the ants were enjoying them as well.





Update March 2009:
Started a new batch... here are what they look when they are just starting...


Comments

Popular Posts