Insulate Your Garage Door

Here's an easy project that I tackled in October: insulating my garage door.

The obvious advantage is improved insulation of the garage, making it cooler in summer and warmer in winter. I have found it also helps deaden some of the street noise of passing vehicles.

I went to Lowe's for my supplies for this project. I decided NOT to buy the pre-packaged garage door kit(s). Not only was that kit more expensive, but it would have made a less precise finished product. Instead I bought 1.5" thick Insulfoam R-Tech Expanded Polystyrene in 2' x 4' sheets for about $3.50/sheet. I measured each panel and the polystrene was cut with a JIGSAW (not a utility knife) for a crisp, tidy cut. This is key for a no muss, no fuss job. The thickness was a purrrrfect snug fit for my garage door frame. With some of the scraps I was even able to frame around the windows. The center panels between windows were held in place with some scraps of industrial-strength Velcro that I had available, and some "T" (sewing) pins attached at an angle to the base panels (see close-up picture).


From the Insulfoam website:

"Insulfoam provides you with one of today's most recognized exterior wall insulation underlayments, Expanded Polystyrene R-Tech. R-Tech is a film-faced product designed to be a durable, lightweight, rigid foam panel that adds significant long term R-value insulation to your walls. The Film facing front and back minimizes waste caused by accidental board damage and helps to keep the board intact despite minor breaks. R-Tech is easy to handle, cut and install without the difficulties of foil or paper facings and glue. Excellent resistance to moisture for lasting retention of insulating performance."

This project was just $45 for a two-car garage door, and took an afternoon to complete.

Comments

diy123gal said…
Thanks! No, I have not worked with a radiant barrier before. I am definitely learning as I go... am open to learning if you have info though! Cheers!
alan said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
alan said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Todd Stone said…
Did you have to adjust your garage door opener for the added weight?
Anonymous said…
A quick look at how to prepare to insulate your own garage door. Includes advice on finding materials on the internet. Also explains some of the differences between buying kit and purchases separate materials. well this site is the right place for you.

Roll Down Gates Queens
Ignatz said…
The obvious advantage is improved insulation of the garage, making it cooler in ... garagedoorsinsulation.blogspot.com
Unknown said…
Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!.
garage door repairs charlotte
Jack son said…
Your carport entryway is a critical moving some portion of your home. It is at risk for the insurance of your home and auto from the components. Clarks Garage Door & Gate Repair Duarte
This is a great post. I like this topic. This site has lots of advantage. I found many interesting things from this site. It helps me in many ways. Thanks for posting this again. garage spray foam insulation
I know no article is perfect, but yours is as close as it gets. Good job. This article is appealing and very well-written. The first two sentences encouraged me to read more. Thanks for posting this again.Garage spray foam insulation in Toronto
Thank goodness this Informative article is interesting and clear. Others I've read made me feel like I needed a degree to decipher them. Garage insulation contractors.for several different commercial building structures because we are best commercial insulation company, call us now!
Ava Jack said…
Nice blog !! Love to visit this blog again and again garage door company
Niki Sharma said…
Thanks for providing this valuable information about
insulation contractors But if you are looking for insulation contractors Companies in Dubai. Visit us at yellowpages.ae
ROCKY said…
Insulation contractor in St. Louis I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here.
Unknown said…
This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! Sliding garage door
Raza Meer said…
This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs… garage door repair bentonville ar
Royale Garage said…
I love how detailed and cost-effective your garage door insulation project was. Your decision to customize the insulation rather than buying a pre-packaged kit was smart and economical. Thanks for sharing your experience and providing valuable tips for those looking to tackle a similar project.
KeenTeQ said…
Your article has greatly benefited me and given me fresh information, therefore I'm really delighted. Turnstile Gate Supplier in UAE

Popular Posts